The Characteristics of a True Strategic Leader
BlogLeadership Development Posted: Tuesday 26th April 2016 by
Mention the work ‘strategic’ and many people recoil, assuming it means an excuse to slack-off or ‘blue-sky’ think with no end result.
However, nearly every company wants strategic leaders in all kind of roles. They understand that opportunities and warning signals will be missed if employees only focus on the work that is directly in their lap.
So, what do good strategic leaders excel at?
1. They anticipate change, building wide external networks to help do so and always searching for trends, legislation and information beyond the realms of the everyday business.
2. They challenge the norm, helping to uncover bias, manipulation and incorrect incentivisation within businesses.
3. They only form a viewpoint when they have considered a situation from multiple perspectives, using trusted data sources, contacts or opinions to do so.
4. They are decisive, not seeking perfection (this can take forever) instead usually a ‘good enough’ position.
5. They foster a culture of open dialogue to build trust, bringing tough issues to the surface and understanding other employees agendas.
6. They seek continual feedback to learn how to improve, celebrate success and recognise mistakes.
Human Results offer expert HR services on retainer, or on a one-off basis to help guide you through the daily challenges of managing your business from a people perspective, including employee engagement, dispute resolution and resolving workplace conflict. We also provide expert leadership development coaching programmes to secure long-term capability within your organisation, and a critical support structure for your leaders.
For more information, call Human Results on 01952 288361 for a no obligation, confidential discussion.
Blog post content provided by Abintegro; an engaging, content-rich, online platform for career management and transition.